- Salizzada San Samuele 3231
The Palazzo Grassi, also known as the Palazzo Grassi Stucky, is located on the eastern bank of the Grand Canal and it was constructed between 1748 and 1772.
Its architect, Giorgio Massari, designed a distinctly classical building in sharp contrast to the other palaces in the city.
The impressive marble facade of the palace lacks the usual recessed loggia for the collection and delivery of goods. Instead, the principal entrance is approached by a formal stairway which descends to the water's edge.
The Grassi were not an established Venetian family but wealthy newcomers from Bologna. Naturally they wished to cement their position in Venetian society and they sold the palace in 1840.
In 2005 the French industrialist, Francois Pinault, purchased a controlling interest in the Palazzo Grassi. Pinault, whose own personal art collection consists of over 2500 works, had originally intended to establish a musem on the Ile Seguin in Paris but was frustrated by burocratic delays.
The Palazzo Grassi now displays numerous paintings from the Pinault's private collection in addition to hosting temporary exhibitions.
Max. capacity: 150 people